Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wedding Recap #1

Hey everyone! So, as you know me and Hubby Holmes finally tied the knot about a month and a half ago. I have been wanting to do a recap of our wedding weekend but when I sat down and started typing about all of it, I realised that I had WAY to much to say!! lol. So, I decided to break it up into parts. I wanted to start with the day before our wedding. So much happened on that day, both good, bad, crazy and sad. Some of which I wont speak about because its kind of personal and just doesn't really need to be a space that I want to revisit in my heart. No it has nothing to do with Hubby Holmes and me if you are wondering :). Anyways, I really wanted to write all this down because these are memories that I don't want to forget years to come. You might enjoy reading some of it too! Enjoy!


Our wedding weekend was such a great and exciting weekend that just didn't last long enough! My cousin and her boyfriend came down early from out of state on the Thursday evening before our Saturday wedding and stayed with me and Gracie at my moms house. It was so nice to be able to hang out with her a little bit before the chaos of the wedding started. We got up early Friday the next morning and headed to town to have a day of getting mani/pedis done and finishing up any last minute details for the wedding. I had hoped that Friday would have been a stress free day and that I wouldn't have very many "to-do's" to get done, but I don't know what happened, where I went wrong in all my planning, but for some reason that day was CRAZY! My two sisters were also with us that day, and without them I don't think I would have made it through that Friday, there was so much chaos! After getting our nails and toes done that morning, we headed over to the hotel that me and future "Hubby Holmes" would be staying at for our honeymoon night, as well as where the rest of our family would be staying that weekend. I ended up booking my honeymoon room for the night before the wedding also that way I could stay there and get dressed and ready there before the wedding. We went ahead and got checked in and unloaded what ever stuff for the wedding we already had in the car and figured out what our game plan would be for the rest of the day.

The hotel we were staying at was the Embassy Suites. I expected to have extremely good service at that hotel. Its the nicest hotel in the town we were in and just knew we would be happy we stayed there. However, even though I booked my entire families rooms over 6 months early, AND I booked them ALL with 2 queen size beds for each room, that was not what we got. Every room that we were given had only 1 king size bed. Which would have been fine, but the rooms were not booked for just one or two people each. They were booked for families. A family of 4 should not have to sleep in a king size bed, thats just crazy. When we complained to the front desk, we were told that you are not always going to get the room that you book. Then why don't they tell you that on the phone when you are requesting a certain type of room. Also, I requested a room that was not by the elevator. Since it is my honeymoon, I didn't want to hear all the chimes and dings from the elevator while trying to spend some quite time with my new husband. And what do you know, my room is the first room you see when stepping off the elevator. And I couldn't be moved to another room because the entire hotel was booked for the local college graduation AND a track meet competition that was being held locally. There were MANY other things that went very wrong with this hotel, but I will recap on those later.

Anyways, after dealing with the hotel, we decided that it is what it is and I wasn't going to let that ruin the weekend. I was getting married to my best friend the next day after all :). The hotel was having a happy hour down in the lobby just at that moment so we decided to let the kids go play in the kids play area and we headed over to the bar for our free drinks. Now, I don't normally drink around Gracie. In fact, I don't think I have EVER drank around her. But at this very moment of being pretty cranky with the hotel service so far and the fact that they were offering FREE, yes FREE drinks and snacks, I wasn't about to pass it up. And I was good, I only had one glass of wine and then we decided to finish up our day of tasks. We drove back to the city to my moms to get the last load of stuff and made it back to the hotel in time to enjoy pizza with my aunt and cousins who made it in from out of town. It was such a long day that was filled with so many little tasks, a ton of "just a quick drive over here...and there....and back here...". We were all so exhausted! It was 1am before any of us got to sleep. Gracie ofcorse passed out watching movies in the bed around 10 thank goodness! Looking back on that day there are so many things that I think about now that just weren't important. Its so funny what you feel that you HAVE to have while planning a wedding. Certain picture frames/decorations, little things that you feel will just make that day better. Then after getting married you hardly even remember those little details. If I could change anything from that day, and from planning all together, I would do away with all the little stuff. I wouldn't have worried about putting together the little decorations at the moment that weren't done, no one would have noticed if they were missing in the first place. I would have spent the day just relaxing and enjoying more of the company of my family that was with me that I don't see very often. Maybe spent the evening watching movies (like I had originally wanted to do) and just let go of what wasn't done. But if we only knew now what we didn't know then....

No comments:

Post a Comment